Wednesday, September 29, 2010

A "what just happened?" moment with two of my favorite Kenyan women

At the IPA Office in Busia, we have two sweet and occasionally feisty Kenyan women who do all the little things that we need to actually have a functioning office: stocking the copy room, cleaning the floors, and making us Kenyan chai (basically a pot of hot whole milk with a bucket of sugar and a few tea leaves at the bottom). Their names are Florence and Roselyn. Can we pause for a minute here and consider just how awesome it is that we actually have two sassy old ladies named Flo and Roz running our office? I feel like I just walked into a real-life ‘70s sitcom. As a bit of relevant background for this story, you should know that Roselyn has also appointed herself my unofficial Swahili tutor, and apparently believes in some new immersive teaching method where I learn by her speaking to me exclusively in rapid unintelligible Swahili. She has even Swahili-cized my name, calling me “Andereya” whenever she addresses me in Swahili.

This particular exchange took place as I returned from a meeting with the District Medical Officer and District Public Health Officer of Busia. As with all the government meetings I attend, I was dressed up in a shirt and tie, which is a rare sight in the Busia office since most of us go pretty casual for normal field or office work. As I walk into the office, I run into Flo and Roselyn sharing a papaya for lunch…

Roselyn: Andereya! Habari ya mchana? [Andrew! What is the news of your afternoon?]

Me: (pleased that I actually know this particular greeting) Mzuri sana, Roselyn! Habari ya watoto? [Very good, Roselyn! What is the news of your children?]

Roselyn: (Something long and complicated in Swahili, where the only words I catch are “good”, “today”, and “banana”)

Me: … (looking desperately at Flo for help)

Flo: (laughs at me)

Roselyn: (finally noticing the fact that I am wearing a tie) Ay! Andereya, you are looking so smart today!

Me: Aww, thanks Roselyn!

Roselyn: You look like the son of the most high king!

Me: (confused) I don’t know what that means.

Flo: (incredulous) Sure? You do not know the most high king?

Me: (now seriously confused) … … … God?

Roselyn: (clearly happy that I have finally caught on) Eh! [Kenyan expression for “yes”]

Me: Soooo you’re saying I look like …. Jesus.

Flo and Roselyn: (laughing again) Eh!

Me: (entirely uncomfortable with this comparison) Umm … so how is your pawpaw fruit?

Flo: Is so sweet! Will you take some?

Me: (well aware of the fact that they will not take no for an answer) Noooo, it’s ok, I am satisfied.

Roselyn: (laughing) Imagine! You must take, you are as skinny as a mosquito! [Kenyan English pronunciation guide: moss-kwee-toe]

Me: (wondering what has happened to this conversation and how I just got compared to both Jesus Christ and a mosquito within the span of thirty seconds, while two old women crack each other up about how thin I am) …yes, ma’am.

No comments:

Post a Comment