Thursday, August 26, 2010

An open memo to the Kenya Power & Lighting Company

Dear KPLC:

I know you and I don't have what most people would call a "non-dysfunctional" relationship. I mean, at first all the little power outages were kind of cute: 30 seconds off! 30 seconds on! It was playful. It kept me on my toes. I found it kind of endearing.

Now I think you're just a tease. I'm starting to wonder if we're even compatible at all: after all, I like not having power outages; you like not having to build new infrastructure. I like electricity; you like routing my electricity from Uganda past Busia all the way to Kisumu and then back through every other town on the way to the border until, at the very end of the line, it finally reaches Busia again. I like getting what I pay for; you like not allocating enough power to my town and randomly depriving me of the service I pay you to provide.

However, I think we can agree that dwelling over such quibbles and quabbles never kept anyone's laptop battery charged, and in that spirit I would like to instead offer one tiny piece of constructive feedback based on my observation of the KPLC repairman currently perched outside my office window: when you send people to replace lines and work on complicated equipment, FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE GIVE THEM SOMETHING OTHER THAN A BLUNT MACHETE TO DO IT WITH.

That is all.

Cordially yours,
Andrew Hoekzema

No comments:

Post a Comment